Wednesday, March 21, 2007

It's just not right

I'm sure most of you have probably heard about the pet food recall from Menu Foods. I cannot believe that this has happened. It makes me angry...why is pet food not tested at the same standards people food is? This shouldn't have happened, and the way the company is handling it is absolutely rediculous. Saying something like 1 dog and 9 cats have died as a result. The real numbers are MUCH higher. My friend S works at her parents' vet clinic. She said they've had hundreds of calls about this, people frantic their pets are going to die. She said it's actually an issue that people need to take very seriously and get their pets checked out even if they aren't showing any of the main signs of kidney failure. They've had 3 dogs die of unexplained kidney failure since January...now they know why. In all 3 cases the tainted food makes complete sense for the cause of death. If you haven't checked it out and want to know all the brands that have been affected by the recall, go to www.menufoods.com.
My mom's cats eat 9 Lives canned food and that brand isn't on the list...however on the local news last night they showed a can of 9 Lives being cut up on a plate. I emailed my friend to ask her about this particular brand...hopefully it hasn't been affected and the news was wrong. Luckily my cat only eats dry prescription cat food because she has urinary tract problems so I don't have to worry about her being affected by this.
I just felt like I had to say something about this.

Zoe

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Ping Pong Kitty

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: